St. Pius X Manjummel Province of Discalced Carmelites, though started in 1857 in the coastal village of Koonammavu, had a short life. After the province became extinct, an offshoot was formed at Manjummel after 17 years in the form of a monastery dedicated to Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception which was inaugurated on 16 April 1874 by Leonardo Mellano, the then Archbishop of Verapoly.
This was the first indigenous religious congregation in the state. The emergence of the monastery at Manjummel began to attract more and more families. They came to settle themselves down around the monastery. Two years later, the foundation stone for a new church dedicated to Mother Mary was laid and the construction of the church was completed in over a decade with the blessing ceremony taking place on 4 December 1892. A few months later, the church was consecrated on 18 April 1893 and the church became a parish in 1911.
Manjummel Church is the parent parish of three other smaller nearby parishes such as Fathima Matha Church, Muttar, St. Joseph’s Church, Eloor and St. Sebastian’s Shrine, Eloor. The annual feast of Our Lady of Immaculate conception is celebrated on 8 December.